Pugs! And Bugs!


When I was approached 2009 and asked work with children's book author, Carolyn Crimi, I jumped at the chance! Being a huge fan of her work, I was honored to be asked to illustrate one of her amazing books. The title? Pugs In a Bug (yes, VW bug!). The concept and script is incredibly fun, full of life and really let me go to town with color, landscapes, characters, details, etc. After about 2 years of concept art to sketches to final, it was completed last week!


I don't think I can say too much right now, but I was given permission to share some of the painted images/spreads from the book (above, one below). All the art was painted with Gouache and animation paint on heavy watercolor paper. 



Below is some of the rough concept art I worked out at the start of the project: some color background thumbnails and a character design. There is a ton more, I'll post in the future!  Pugs in a Bug will be out Spring 2012, written by author Carolyn Crimi and published by Dial Books for Young Readers.






8 comments:

Rob said...

Big ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥'s. Love it. Especially love the color studies. Can I frame them?

David said...

awesome! great expression on the little guys. going to show them to my pug.

Three Silly Chicks said...

They are better than I ever could have imagined! You are Wonder Woman! Thanks so much for your fabulosity!

Carolyn Crimi

Tom Lichtenheld said...

Beeyouteeful! As an illustrator, I love seeing your color studies, which are better than my finished work. And it's so refreshing to see real paint on paper.

Carmela Martino said...

I'm a huge Carolyn Crimi fan, and I LOVE these illustrations. I can't wait to see the completed book.

Stephanie Buscema said...

Thank you so much!! :) xo

Tara Lazar said...

WOW! I can't wait for this book. I'm a huge Carolyn Crimi fan and a children's author, too. You are now on my illustrator wish list!

Pickled Polkadot said...

Congratulations! Your illustrations are simply stunning.